One dead, multiple injured in shooting at New Jersey art festival

Over a dozen people  – including a 13-year-old-boy –  were injured when two gunmen opened fire at an all-night art festival in New Jersey early on Sunday.

Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri said that 16 of the 20 people injured were treated for gunshot wounds, and that four, including the teen, were in critical condition.

One of the suspects, a 33-year-old man, was killed and the other is in custody.

About 1,000 people had been in the area for the Art All Night festival in Trenton NJ.,that showcases work by local artists, music and food.

As shots rang out at around 3 a.m., people started running in all directions.

Angelo Nicolo, who was with his brother at the event, said he heard loud popping sounds and saw attendees running down the street.

“I saw two police officers escort a guy that got shot in the leg. They bandaged him up and whisked him away,” Nicolo told 6ABCTV.

Police sources told The Trentonian that more than 70 shell casings were found at the scene following the shooting.

“This is truly a tragedy for Trenton,” Mayor Eric Jackson said at a press conference Sunday morning after the incident. “All shootings, whether large or small, are a crisis. It’s a fact that our cities, as well as our suburbs, throughout America are experiencing an increase in public shootings and public unrest. This isn’t some random act of violence; this is a public health issue.”

The 12th annual Art All Night festival was scheduled to continue on Sunday but was shut down after the shooting.

With Post wires

Article original

Related posts

Leave a Comment